If your hotel doesn’t, don’t stay – Best Life

Your travel checklist may seem long, but there’s one last thing you need to do before you embark on your next adventure, experts say. It’s important to know if your hotel takes a vital security measure, which is not legally required in most states. A new report indicates that hotels that neglect this particular safety measure have caused hundreds of deaths, not to mention thousands of frightening incidents, over the past two decades. Read on to find out if you should consider canceling your reservation and how experts say you can take your safety into your own hands by packing wisely.

READ NEXT: Never forget to do this before you go to sleep in a hotel room, warns an expert.

Half point / iStock

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), carbon monoxide leaks cause hundreds of deaths and thousands of poisonings each year.

A recent study in the journal Preventive Medicine Reports collected data from 1999 to 2018 and identified 3,405 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning that specifically took place in hotels or motels. However, the researchers note that the actual number of poisonings and associated deaths is even higher than that. “The number and frequency of CO-related incidents in the U.S. lodging industry is underreported. Previous efforts relying on the news media have identified only 10% of reported incidents “, wrote the team. “This indicates a greater public health risk associated with CO exposure in the U.S. lodging industry than previously thought.”

Carbon monoxide detector
Shutterstock

Although you most likely have carbon monoxide detectors in your home, many hotels aren’t required to have them, even in rooms that have fireplaces or near fuel-burning appliances, two common sources of carbon monoxide. of carbon. Experts say that even parts without these features can still be compromised by carbon monoxide leaks, because you don’t necessarily need to be near the source of the leak to feel its effects. Only 14 states require carbon monoxide detectors in all hotel rooms, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

If the hotel room you have booked does not install carbon monoxide detectors in every room, that may be reason enough to cancel your reservation. However, many experts also suggest bringing your own portable carbon monoxide detector, which can be purchased for around $30, whenever you travel.

Hotel room
Shutterstock

There have been several reports of repeated carbon monoxide poisonings in particular hotel rooms, some of which have proven fatal to hotel guests. The New York Times recently told a story that took place in Catoosa, Oklahoma, in which a single room became the site of three poisoning incidents before any action was taken. “We have already responded to this exact room number two other times in the past two weeks,” Denus BentonCatoosa Fire Chief, wrote to the Time.

The third poisoning victim, Pawel Markowski, 44, was found “unresponsive” in his hotel room in March. Speaking to the publication, he said: ‘I don’t know what these people were waiting for – someone to die?

For more health news delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.

woman in hospital bed
Shutterstock

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is virtually undetectable without the aid of a monitor. In many cases, the victim has no idea something is wrong until they are too disoriented by the effects of the gas to step out into the fresh air or call for help.

However, it is still important to recognize the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, which are known to mimic many other forms of illness. These most commonly include headache, weakness, shortness of breath, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, confusion, blurred vision, tingling lips. “Symptoms can come and go. They can get worse when you spend time in an affected room or building and get better when you leave or go out,” says the UK’s National Health Services (NHS).

Comments are closed.