Neighborhood Expert: Labor Day Getaways | FFXnow
Laura Schwartz is a licensed real estate agent in VA, DC and MD with McEnearney Associates in Vienna. You can follow Laura on Instagram at @LauraSchwartzRealtor or on her Facebook page. Laura can be reached at 703-283-6120 or [email protected]
If you’re trying to hold on to the last days of summer and make the most of your 4-day weekend, here are some great weekends to watch if you’re looking for an escape.
- Aquia Landing Park, Stafford, Virginia: About an hour from Tysons, this is a popular fishing spot and swimming beach. Note that there is a charge for parking.
- Colonial Beach, Virginia: Colonial Beach is approximately 90 minutes from Tysons. It has easy parking, is on the Potomac River (so very few waves), has shallow water, and there is a fishing pier. You will also find a nice snow cone and an ice cream corner. (Try the chocolate éclair ice cream!)
- Mason Neck State Park, Lorton, Virginia: This little hidden gem is located less than an hour from Tysons and offers fishing as well as canoe and kayak rentals. Be sure to call ahead for a reservation. You will also find swimming spots and walking paths.
- Lake Anna State Park, Spotsylvania, Virginia: About a two-hour drive away you’ll find plenty of sand and water for swimming and playing, campsites for overnight stays, and hiking trails. Tents are not allowed on the beach.
- Sandy Point State Park, Annapolis, Maryland: One hour from Tysons, Sandy Point is a popular beach before the Chesapeake Bay Bridge with plenty of room to wander off. It’s a great place if you just want to get away for a day.
- Calvert Cliffs State Park, Lusby, Maryland: Located about 90 minutes from Tysons, Calvert Cliffs is a Maryland state park offering fishing, swimming, and walking trails. It’s $7 per car for daytime use if you have Virginia state license plates.
- Salamander Resort & Spa, Middleburg, Virginia: Here you’ll find a spa, restaurants, wineries, infinity pool, hiking trails, zip line and, for golf lovers, access to the Creighton Farms clubhouse .
- The Inn at Little Washington, Washington, Virginia: Find a top-notch restaurant at The Inn and quaint Washington is perfect for exploring.
- Inn at Perry Cabin, St. Michaels, Maryland: On the beautiful Chesapeake, Inn at Perry Cabin features a spa, restaurants, pool, fitness center, golf and a tennis court.
- The Inn at Vaucluse Spring, Stephens City, Virginia: This is a romantic bed and breakfast perched along the Shenandoah Valley.
- Nemacolin Resort, Farmington, PA: Nemacolin offers many types of accommodations, a spa, golf, ax throwing, zip lining, and tons of dining choices.
- The Omni Homestead, Hot Springs, Virginia: Filled with historic charm, this sprawling spa features hot springs, a water park, golf, and plenty of other family-friendly activities.
- The Tides Inn, Irvington, Virginia: Find a spa, wine route, sailing school, golf course and newly redesigned rooms!
- The Greenbrier Resort, White Sulfur Springs, WV: This resort features a spa, casino, pool, arcade, bowling and more to keep you busy!
- Lansdowne Resort, Leesburg, Virginia: Located in historic Leesburg, Lansdowne Resort features a spa, golf course and more.
- Tidewater Inn, Easton, Maryland: Explore the spa, luxury accommodations, historic Easton and Hunters’ Tavern.